With Agile methodology for software development, the constant struggle of defining processes, structures, and plans for a seamless product delivery have ended at last. Agile lets the company to quickly respond to the functional, technical, and market changes. Agile methodology for development concentrates on:
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
- Working software over comprehensive documentation
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
- Responding to change over paying heed to a plan
As Agile aims to consumer-centric development, it is preferred because of its capability for building scalable software apps. But Agile doesn’t enable the development team to make the products innovative, visualize the flaws and find innovative ways to fix them. This is where the Design thinking comes to the rescue.
Design thinking is a kind of approach to problem solving where all the factors and processes like inspiration, ideation, and implementation take place, not necessarily in a sequential manner, but more as a system of overlapping spaces of these factors and processes.
The Collaboration of the two
Agile and design thinking works in parallel ways. When these two are combined, they offer more power to the software app, right from the ideation to the development. Agile is more into how to execute and design thinking determines what should be built in the first place. Design thinking uses a consumer drive feedback loop to validate innovative feature ideas and before the development takes place. Here are the six phases of Design thinking cycle.
- EMPATHIZE with the users: a research is conducted to learn about the users
- DEFINE the problem, user requirement: all the research is combined and observe where the problems exist.
- IDEATE, challenge assumptions and create ideas: generation of raging creative ideas to solve problems
- PROTOTYPE, start creating solutions: build real, tactical presentations for the short listed ideas
- TEST the solutions: the problem resolving ideas are presented to the users and asked for feedback
- IMPLEMENT: if it succeeds, the vision is put into effect.
Design thinking or DT is deemed as a creative engine and Agile is the best methodology to execute ideas into working reality, as quickly as possible. As Agile segregates the development process into small parts, it is quite easily possible to validate those ideas, implement them, rework on them whenever, whatever the requirement arises, after the consumer feedback by Cybercraftinc.